Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Update: Quitting Milestone

My last cigarette was at 7 a.m. this morning. According to the American Cancer Society, as of 3 p.m. (about an hour and 45 minutes ago) the Carbon Monoxide in my body dropped and the Oxygen level in my blood increased to "normal".

Exciting stuff. I wonder if it's the Oxygen that has me so jittery. All in all, though, the first 9 hours and 47 minutes haven't been too bad. But who's counting? I haven't heard the voice yet that tells me how one won't hurt, the headache will go away if I just go to the corner and buy a pack, etc. But I've been doing a lot of talking out loud - ostensibly to the dog, but more to myself - so maybe I've just drowned it out.

The next milestone is at 2 days (7 a.m. on Friday) when my sense of smell and taste are scheduled for improvement and, they say, "You will enjoy your food more." I have a feeling I'm going to leave the land of 170 and be shopping in the Big Boy section in no time. Also on Friday, my risk of heart attack begins to decrease.

Humorous Health Note: When My Doctor told me to double my BP medication, I first went to the pharmacist who lives across the street from my sibling's mother-in-law. (This is Mayberry, after all, where everybody knows everybody and most likely lives just down the street from them.) He told me the suggested dosage was at the upper end of the recommended range, but perfectly safe - except, perhaps, for some early morning dizziness.

He suggested that I first sit up and "put my feet on the floor before getting out of bed". Not until I repeated those directions to Joyce on the phone later did it occur to me...There aren't a whole lot of ways to get out of a bed. Most of them include first putting your feet on the floor. I'm open to any alternatives I've been missing out on, though. Feel free to send them along if you happen to be among those who dismount in some way other than feet-first.

No comments: