Monday, December 17, 2007

Soviet Bitch

Received a rambling email - complete with photography - from the Hell's Kitchen Agent just the other night. It was a picture of him with a low-level employee of some magazine or another - complete with empty implied promises of shilling my promising work to another publication. Good thing I have his ass on commission or I'd be broke from paying for all the empty promises.

I now truly believe he goes to these things solely for the booze and toast points.

The email concluded with the threat of a drunk dial before 10 p.m. I hastened to the answering machine to turn it off and instead recorded this:

"This machine has been installed with an alcohol detection device. You are over the legal limit. Please call back after a cup of coffee."

True to his threat, the phone rang minutes later and the message sounded like Portuguese, which sounds like Spanish with marbles in your mouth - only mixed with copious amounts of very dry martinis. The only part I thought I picked up was the name-calling. I could swear he'd called me a "Soviet Bitch". I replayed it twice because I have one very bad ear and thought it must surely have been "Sonofabitch". But I clearly heard an extra "t".

It was "Soviet Bitch". I couldn't fathom such a thing. Did this make me the kind of bitch who would stand in line for toilet paper? I admit that in a crisis I could do such a thing. Or did it make me the kind of bitch who would crush small Balkan states in the interest of world domination? That, too, sounded in character for me. I concluded that some truth does, in fact, come through the haze of alcohol and horrendous taste in men. I am a Soviet Bitch.

I rushed down to the t-shirt shop to have one made in my new size. I bought a custom bumper sticker and had 2 dozen generic Christmas balls stamped "Soviet Bitch" for the tree. Who needs a New Year's resolution when you have a new name? And one NOBODY else can claim at that!!

So from our bitchy Soviet house to yours.... Happy Holidays and power to the proletariat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too funny dear. I believe the "rambling email" went something like this:
'So Darling.... I met up with Lana, as in Turner, again tonight at the International Center for Photography. (on 6th Avenue) We took this photo just for YOU.
And yes, as you can see, we had a few drinks. They had a nice spread. Get ready for your drunk dial dear. ... It's 10:18 Eastern, 9:18 Central.

xoxo David
"

And, while your message was cute, I thought you would at least answer at SOME point. I called you TWICE, and implored you to "pick up the f*cking phone you Soviet Bitch", but was met with silence.
I am pleased that you are enjoying your new moniker.

I have been instructed to tell everyone to email any of life's difficult questions to: GarceSoviette@aol.com under 'Dear Elphaba' ... oh, and you're welcome!

David
Hell's Kitchen Agent