Thursday, April 06, 2006

M.I.A.

Just a brief note to assure the few who asked: I am not dead. I am enduring what the ancient Greeks called "Bathroom Remodeling". Since the computer sits against a wall shared with the bathroom, it has been largely unused since the demolition began.

I am stealing a moment before the workers arrive to commence reconstructing what will be a real tub and shower in my formerly sub-par loo.

I did not win at Bingo, though Mama did. I went for a walk with My One Drunk Friend and think I broke something in the sole of my foot. I discovered how easy it is to take down plaster and lath (which all of my walls seem to be) and have evil designs on the rest of my exterior walls - none of which appear to be insulated in the least. I am thrilled at the prospect of a do-it-yourself project that I may actually have the stamina to do. I know nothing of hanging sheetrock, so that will be a "I'll cook if you hang, tape and mud" trade-off with some of the neighbors who know about such things. Then I'll bat my eyes at my sister for the painting.

My buddy is out of the hospital and recuperating at home from 4 bypasses, not six as anticipated. That's a relief. I don't like all that many people and I'm a little sick of losing the ones I can stomach. So bullet averted. I hope he slows down and enjoys things a little more. He's neat to have around.

Thank you all for the kind words and expressions while I've been on this brief hiatus. Contrary to popular opinion, I was not mourning The Death of Evening News As We Know It over the Katie Couric announcement. I only ever watched CBS News to see if Bob Schieffer would actually meet his maker on the air. I wonder if they'll use the Mary Tyler Moore show theme song as the CBS Evening News soundtrack when Katie takes the chair:

Who can turn the world on with her smile?
Who can take a nothing day, and suddenly make it all seem worthwhile?
Well it's you girl, and you should know it
With each glance and every little movement you show it
Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all

How will you make it on your own?
This world is awfully big, girl this time you're all alone
But it's time you started living
It's time you let someone else do some giving
Love is all around, no need to waste it
You can have a town, why don't you take it
You're gonna make it after all
You're gonna make it after all


To hell with Mrs. Robinson, where have you gone Arthur Kent, Stone Phillips, David Bloom, and Peter Jennings? Brian Williams is wonderful, to be sure. And I realize Stone Phillips is largely among the living still. But Arthur, David and Peter...those were men who made you aware of just how much manliness was left out of your DNA. They were someone to aspire to...if not as role-models then as carnal fantasies. Nobody ever said that about Connie Chung.

I doubt they'll say it about Katie Couric. Sigh.

No comments: